Almost all teens suffer from the acne problem. They make you look bad and lower your self-esteem. Although it is not a massive health hazard, but we should understand — what they are and how to prevent them so that our face remain always nice and beautiful. In this article, we will discuss what acne is, how it’s formed and in the end, we will provide you with some practical and effective ways to avoid acne.
What is acne and how does it happen?
Acne or pimples happen when skin clogs on your face, or on other parts of your body, are jammed by some oily substance known as sebum. There are many types of acne:
- Blackheads: As the name suggests, they look like black dots. These can be formed due to many reasons like a reaction to oxygen, infection or even dead skin cells. Mostly people think that dirt forms them, but that is not true.
- Whiteheads: Whiteheads are white dots that cover the skin of your face.
- More serious acne: if the skin around a pimple is swollen and is looking red than these are the signs of Papules or nodules. They are serious kinds of acne and can result in big scars on your face.
- Cysts: deep and pus filled pimples are
Ok! So, we know what acne is but how to can we avoid it? Let’s see how you can do that.
How to avoid it?
We have added some practical tips that you can use to prevent acne or pimples.
- Regularly cleansing your face will result in removal of dead skin cells and various other impurities present on the face. Make sure not to use harsh scrubs or soaps on your face so as to avoid further oil generation by glands. Use a clean towel to clean your face.
- If you use harsh scrubs then after them, use moisturizing products that are for dry skin. They will keep your skin moisturized and better looking while simultaneously making it non-oily.
- Cosmetics that contain oils can also cause acne. Try to use them in less quantity and wash after their usage is no more required. Use noncomedogenic (not causing acne) cosmetics which do not contain oil and chemicals that could create pimples.
- Don’t use too much oil on your hair. If the high amount of oil gets to your skin glands, it can cause more pimples.
- Don’t often touch your face with hands. It can increase the chances of infection from a single pimple to everywhere on your face.
- Use a good sunscreen to avoid inflammation caused by infrared rays from the sun. Try to find out the best sunscreen, whether SPF 15 or SPF 30, for your skin. SPF 30 is considered the best for acne when you are in the high exposure to the sun.
- Don’t eat too much junk food and chocolates. Avoid chilly items too.
- Healthy blood circulation can reduce the chances of acne, so exercise daily.
That’s great. But what if you already have acne? Then you should go quickly for treatment.
Treatment of acne can go from taking medicines to even surgery in case of large scars. Consult a good dermatologist in case you have large pimples filled with pus. There are three basic kinds of treatments for acne:
- Non-prescription based treatment
In this treatments, medicines are not advised rather you are told to use skin products like soaps, acids, etc. Non-prescription treatment is moderate and should be used only for milder acne.
Time: 4 to 8 weeks.
- Prescription based
In prescription based treatments, you will have to take certain kinds of medicines that the doctor prescribes you.
- Oral treatment
In this type of treatment, both medicines and skin products are prescribed. Oral treatment is suitable for both mediocre and severe acne problems.
Period: 16 to 20 weeks.
Make sure acne does not define your teenage life. Create a healthy environment around you and exercise daily. Keep your face clean and use products that do not cause acne. If still you do not find a solution to your acne problem consult a doctor (dermatologist) as soon as possible.